Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Latest Batch of Kool Aid Yarn

My specialty is yarn that's been dyed with Kool- Aid brand drink mix. I know that's a registered trademark. Apologies to Kool-Aid. I haven't yet figured out how to use the symbol on my blog, but at least I'm giving them props, right?

I wrote a tutorial a few months ago on the KA dye process that was printed in a fiber-related newsletter that is published by Mary Anna at the Pen & Thread shop in my hometown. In the near future, I'll post it. There are plenty of places online to learn about it. I like it because it's safe and easy. No harmful chemicals and you can dump it down the drain when you're done. I do it my the kitchen all the time. I love to just dye up a bunch of roving in different colors and then spin it randomly -- I do two bobbins and ply them together, creating fun randomness that I love because you never know what you're getting until it's done. The three skeins on the right are this type. Recently I've started experimenting with creating actual colorways that I can reproduce. The three skeins on the left are that type.

No comments: