Sunday, September 21, 2008

More Bags

Rylan requested a bag similar to Karin's, but I only had one placemat in the same pattern. I made a half-size version by folding the placemat in half lengthwise. I used ribbon to attach the handles and I made the closure out of wider ribbon in the same color. I sewed a vintage button on by hand, but I used Velcro for the actual closure.

The green bag was a request by Jason for his wife. I folded one placemat in half like I did with the blue bag, but this one is lined with yellow broadcloth backed with fusible interfacing. The blue bag was self-lined as the placemat was backed with a plain brown layer of fabric. The green bag has a magnetic closure and the handles are attached with ribbons.

These are still prototypes. Each bag is an adventure because I don't use patterns. I prefer to wing it and see what happens. Mistakes are made, but I'm learning from them, so it's cool, right? Anyway, because these are prototypes, my friends get to be my guinea pigs. I let them pick the placemats and I have free reign with the rest. As soon as I get the wrinkles ironed out, I hope to start mass producing -- well, as much as handmade things can be mass-produced! -- and sell at local craft shows next year. I'd like to be really adventurous and open an Etsy shop, but I guess I'm still a little too timid to go there! Opinions welcome.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Placemat Bag Version 2

My second attempt at a placemat bag. Mistakes were made. Gimme a break. I'm still hammering out prototypes. For one thing, I should have stitched the tabs in green thread instead of brown. Brown thread would be an interesting designe element if I could stitch straight, but I can't. The tabs actually do match a very light stripe in the pattern on the fabric, but you can't see it very well in the picture. If you click the picture and blow it up, you can see it better. Karin claimed this one! Shelby suggested I try a diaper bag, as she is having her third baby girl in a week or so. I need to give that one some thought. Lots of pockets and compartments. I don't even know what goes into a diaper bag besides diapers. I've gotta go do some research!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fabric Labels

These are my new fabric labels -- I used inkjet fabric sheets. Very easy. In the last post (Placemat Bag) there's a pic of a label in the bag. I forgot to satin stitch it to the lining of the bag before I put the lining in the bag, so I attached it with fabric glue.

First Stab at Placemat Bags

I know! I know! I'm a bad blogger -- it's been months and months and months. Get over it.

This is my first attempt at making a placemat purse. I got some nice heavy, pretty placemats. I used lighter placemats for the lining. I sewed them together, added a magnetic closure and ribbon tabs for the handles. Oh, and I sewed across the corners the bottom sits flat. This bag was made especially for Dana!