Sunday, September 21, 2008

More Bags


Rylan requested a bag similar to Karin's, but I only had one placemat in the same pattern. I made a half-size version by folding the placemat in half lengthwise. I used ribbon to attach the handles and I made the closure out of wider ribbon in the same color. I sewed a vintage button on by hand, but I used Velcro for the actual closure.

The green bag was a request by Jason for his wife. I folded one placemat in half like I did with the blue bag, but this one is lined with yellow broadcloth backed with fusible interfacing. The blue bag was self-lined as the placemat was backed with a plain brown layer of fabric. The green bag has a magnetic closure and the handles are attached with ribbons.

These are still prototypes. Each bag is an adventure because I don't use patterns. I prefer to wing it and see what happens. Mistakes are made, but I'm learning from them, so it's cool, right? Anyway, because these are prototypes, my friends get to be my guinea pigs. I let them pick the placemats and I have free reign with the rest. As soon as I get the wrinkles ironed out, I hope to start mass producing -- well, as much as handmade things can be mass-produced! -- and sell at local craft shows next year. I'd like to be really adventurous and open an Etsy shop, but I guess I'm still a little too timid to go there! Opinions welcome.

No comments: